Tuesday, December 17, 2019

Christmas Day 1969....in England and in Vancouver BC


While my Grandma was enjoying herself in England far away, my sisters and I were having fun too on Christmas Eve. Well, I assume Grandma enjoyed her visit, although her poor little notebook is filled with descriptions of cold, illness, snow etc.

Back to the notebook:
Thurs Dec 25, 1969
Christmas Day
" Got up and had Christmas dinner with Gin and Bert."

Fri Dec 26
"Much better. Home by myself."

Sat Dec 27
"We motored to Bristol to visit Harry. A four to five hour drive. I'm staying at Harry's, from Bert's place."

Sun Dec 28
"Harry drove us out to Worle, an hour's drive. It's in Weston Super-mare, to visit Isabel (Gordon) at her aunt's. We went to a very old stone church; St Martin's, built in the 11th century. The pew seats were 800 years old. Monks used to use it. The Lord's Supper all in alabaster, sculpted most lovely. I left a tract there."

I tried to find out more about St. Martin's Church, but there isn't much on the internet. It's still an active church, and I saved a few photos from the website. I will post them down below.

St. Martins Church in winter.


Inside the church which Grandma visited in Dec 1969.


The lovely alabaster carving of the Lord's Supper. I can find nothing out about it.

Edited by Loretta Williams Houben


No comments:

Post a Comment