Monday, November 16, 2015

Alfred George Palmer, cousin to my grandma, Alma May Palmer.


(photo kindly provided by Angie Hodges on Nov 16, 2015)

On November 13, 2015, while searching on UK Ancestry where I'm currently a member, I discovered Alfred George Palmer. Alfred is my 1st cousin, 2xs removed. He was the son of Henry George Palmer, brother of my great grandpa, Herbert Henry Palmer. They were the sons of George Palmer my great great grandpa.
Alfred died at age 21 on May 31, 1916 in the Battle of Jutland.


The above shows the list of ships Alfred worked on.


HMS Broke where Alfred died.



I had a great time searching online for any information I could find.
This image is from Panel 3 in Stoke sub Hamdon, England, on top of Ham Hill, at the memorial built to remember the men who died in WWI.
Here is the LINK to the website.



From the Commonwealth War Graves Commission



The above shows Alfred's name on the right hand side.
By entering Alfred's name and date of death into the Google search engine, I discovered a wonderful website:
It contains a letter sent to Alfred's family with details of his death.
The site is written by Angie Hodges, and after an inquiry sent to her on the weekend, she kindly replied today and sent me the photo at the top of this post.
Although it's a blurred image I'm thrilled to have it, as I have no other image of Alfred.
Isn't it amazing what happens if you begin to research into your family tree?
You never know where you will wind up.

March 30, 2016  I added Alfred Palmer's details to "Lives of the First World War" website today.
The 100th anniversary of the Battle of Jutland is this year, 2016.
By Loretta Williams Houben

1 comment:

  1. wow Loretta he would have been my dads cousin. And look how many Palmers there were that were killed in action my goodness, many of them on the same day same place. How sad. Dad only spoke of his cousin Charlie who moved with his father and family to New York and would send care packages to Florence on the prairies with clothes etc that no longer fit Charlie I guess he was a little older than dad. This is so interesting. You are doing a heck of a great job Loretta. I love it thank you so much for this wealth of information about my family

    ReplyDelete